Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Travel to... NYC

NYC Highlights




I am fortunate to get to travel to Manhattan once a year partly for work and also to curb my thirst for the cultural experience.  NYC is ever changing and the juxtaposition of the more historic architecture amidst the fluidity of the inspiring shop windows, keep me coming back for more.  I was ecstatic to hear that our L'oreal Professionnel Artist Foundation for fall will be held right in the heart of the city and a looking forward to see what Broadway has to offer in terms of shows during that time.  My last visit to NYC was centered around an editorial styling class I partook in, and I had the opportunity to learn firsthand the trends and techniques straight from Fashion Week, hot off the runway.  I packed my trip full of as many experiences as I could and am listing them in my first ever 'NYC Must List'.



It always starts with food doesn't it?  Especially in a city bursting with most of the top culinary artists in the world.  I am definitely a meat eater and with the simple design-it-yourself options, this is a definite crowd pleaser.  You get to play chef with choices from the meat selection, sauces and a la carte sides.  I  opted for the smaller sliders so tha I could really get a true taste of what they had to offer.  
http://themeatballshop.com

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge



Completed over 130 years ago, this is an iconic NYC structure and I have walked across it in both day and night time.  Both offer spectacular views of the skyline, plan a sunset time walk across and enjoy the twinkling lights at night on your way back into the city.

Located in the bustling Financial District, this woodsy hotel becomes so serene and offers a view of quite the different side of what you expect from the city that never sleeps.  I really enjoyed the modern cabin-esque decor and it offered nearby access to all the major trains and more importantly, great coffee shops.  Click here for the site.



This is the crowning jewel of the city, the perfect blend of nature amidst man's handiwork.  The paths weave through trees, tunnels, grassy knolls and open up to show you the skyline from the true heart of the city.  You can get your cardio on and jog through the maze, bike and even take a horse drawn carriage ride.  The park is truly representative of the season, with its turning leaves in autumn, bare branches in winter, blooming flowers in spring and Shakespeare in the park in summer.  I don't feel complete without at least a visit to the park during one of my stays here.  
http://www.centralparknyc.org

Comfort food, ramen in the city.  With two locations, this is a perennial go to for me.  Start with the pork buns appetizer and then select your choice of base for your ramen, which sounds easy but with seasonal offerings and the option to add more noodles to your broth, my eyes are always way bigger than my stomach when I come here.  
http://www.ippudony.com



Having heard that this was the In-N-Out of the east coast, I was curious to try out what they had to offer.  I waited in line and then for my meal a total of 45 minutes and must say, I was not disappointed at all.  This place lives up to the hype for sure, and maybe it's because I am spoiled with the opportunity to have In-NOut whenever I feel like it, but this is a very close comparison if not a bit better?  Go big when you try it and order the double stack, a portobella mushroom over a beef patty and get the cheese fries and shake.  It's the only way to do an accurate comparison.  
http://www.shakeshack.com

Broadway Show du jour

Countless offerings, there is literally something for everyone.  What I love about the theaters here is that they are intimate and it is hard to have a bad seat in the house.  I myself favor more of a dramatic play, there's nothing like being that close to that kind of art and watch a performance unfold and stay with you throughout the day.  'The Glass Menagerie' was the last performance I saw here and one of the best I have ever seen. Musicals here are pretty incredible, the amount of talent and dedication is on display and transports you to a Disneyland for all ages.



A little taste of Paris on our side of the Atlantic, these little macaroons are so stylish and so addictive. I was ecstatic when I learned they opened a stateside location here in the upper east side, and this is the best treat to have while window shopping all of the Boutiques and Ateliers.  It's also the best packaging to souvenir gift someone you already bought two Statues of Liberty.
http://www.laduree.com/en_int/



What used to be a railway for freight trains, is now one of the most enchanting walks and exhibit for modern art.  It was built to help carry heavy cargo between the west village and became dilapidated in 1980.  After many years of efforts, phase 1 of it opened to the public in 2009, and today there are three phases of it open taking you through the Meatpacking District and Chelsea. It offers gorgeous views of the west side and has multiple entrances throughout the way.  The north end of it is still in development and will become a small shopping area with what appear to be restaurants and boutiques.  
http://www.thehighline.org

Located in the Flatiron District, this museum offers information on everything from reproduction in the animal kingdom, to human sexuality over the years in all its varieties.  There is a rotating exhibit as well as interesting art pieces made from objects that might surprise you.  You get a voyeuristic peek into many fetishes and the gift shop has some of the funniest souvenirs to bring back home.  There are only a few cities that would welcome and be home to a museum like this and for the adventurous tourist, I think it is worth a visit.  
http://www.museumofsex.com

No NYC list is complete without at least one mention of a pizza joint.  Sold by the slice so you can try a few different styles, this is my go to place for pizza.  Voted the best pizza by the Food Network, and endorsed by all the celebs you see posed with the owners on the walls, it does not disappoint.  
the ambience is more hole in the wall and it probably hasn't been updated since the mid 80's but that is what gives it its charm and authenticity.  
http://bleekerstreetpizza.net

This is the first of what will most likely become my yearly must list on NYC, as it has so manyexperiences to offer.  If you have a favorite, feel free to include it in the comment section below, and with that I will leave you with the inspired final look from the editorial styling class.  Until next week... take care!








3 comments:

  1. I'm going to NYC next month so I'm glad I found this post! Haven't been to the Shake Shack yet but I think that's going to be my first stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NYC is hands down my favorite city!! You can't help but fall in love with the culture, food, theater, etc. As a foodie, "The Meatball Shop" is a must!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't get a rental, yet my recommendation is to ask the property manager a great deal of inquiries. They probably definitely understand what they are doing is illicit, so you may look at this as an indication of how they may maintain their condo or business. check here

    ReplyDelete