Monday, January 13, 2014

Golden Globes 2014

Golden Globes 2014

What an exciting night! I really look forward to the Golden Globes because of its tipsy attitude and the plethora of celebrities from film and TV. There were so many great looks tonight, and some misses as well.  With this review I will be getting a little snarky, but it's all in good fun, and just my opinion and there are also some links provided to reference some of the things I mention, so lets get to it!


I'm starting with these two by Julia Roberts and Zooey Deschanel, and with these strong statement looks, its either love it or hate it.  Totally not my thing and I just feel that if you have a stylist and a good budget you should bring a knockout look onto the red carpet. Julia's business on the top, party on the bottom "mullet dress" as I'm calling it was just a complete WTH?  It channels Sharon Stone's gorgeous outfit from the 1998 Oscars (click here) and Julia's own Oscar winning vintage Valentino (click here) but gets close to neither.  Zooey gets points for her hair, loved the actual rose above her rose bun which is right on trend but the ill fitted crop top and the tulle on bottom jut feels like a little girl playing dress up with her moms' clothes.   Speaking of Moms...


The baby bump was a hot accessory on the red carpet and Kerry Washington and Olivia Wilde just make motherhood look amazing!  Love the simplicity of Kerry's dress and brooch holding together the girls to showcase her belly.  Olivia goes for sultry with her emerald sequined splendor. Hairstyles were very similar with soft curls and strong side parts and keep these looks from looking too "Mom hair". 


Now the way to NOT do a maternity look, Drew Barrymore is this years' Valentine's Day cheerleader in a dress by Monique Lhullier.  Normally I am a fan of Drew in flowers, but this dress is just heavy and it looks a throw they sell at Anthropologie.   Emma Thompson isn't actually preggo, but with this poorly fitted dress it definitely begs the question... loved the big hair and her presentation on the stage though. 


Amy Adams and Elisabeth Moss were winners on the stage, but not so much on the red carpet.  The dresses for me were just ok, but the hair and makeup choices were terrible.  Amy's hair style choice is a bit too bridesmaid-y and I think could have been ravishing if she had channeled her character from 'American Hustle'.  Elisabeth Moss' hair color is just a bit to dark and product heavy, but not in the way some of the stars were wearing it at tonights show.  


Metallics were huge again this year and I am such a fan of sparkle, I cannot even begin to tell you how excited this made me.  Mila Kunis normally is on point at these awards shows but the fit up top makes her shoulders look awkward and it appears stiff not sexy. Tatiana Maslany's dress spills onto the red carpet and this classic Hollywood look is so effortless, and so gorgeous.  Loved the hair and makeup choices that echo the genre of the dress while still keeping it relevant in today's fashion. 


Naomi Watts drips in this slinky number, its a great look if not a bit reminiscent of her at the Oscars last year. Lily Rabe plays it safe and doesnt get burned at the stake in her 1950's form.  I love the dark sparkle, its a great winter look.  Her 'Coven' girls would be proud. 


Emma Roberts takes the crown from her aunt tonight and smolders in her off the shoulder mermaid number.  The earrings aren't a miss, but I just think a precious stone chandelier would've been the right accessory.  Sarah Paulson wears more what Lily Rabe's swamp character would have chosen as a dress, which isn't a total bad thing, but the length is a little off for me and overall it doesn't look expensive.  The hair is fab though.  




The girls from 'Girls' went method and showed up as their respective characters. Allison Williams went high style a lá Marnie; Jemima Kirke went too boho but not so 'Jessa' chic with that terrible print; Lena Dunham surprised in a canary gown, though I must say this is a step up from her previous appearances; Zosia Mamet is quirky much like Shoshanna only without the hair donut (thank goodness). 


Emma Watson looked gorge and so chic and comfortable on the red carpet. I loved the cupped sleeves, the color, she just radiates here.  Jennifer Lawrence's dress on any one else could have been a disaster, but her personality, her hair , the lipstick, all of that saved it and I predict it will be one that is remembered for a while.  It's not completely hideous, it's not completely great, it is just memorable.  


I like the idea Jessica Chastain was going for, and after her last appearance at the Oscars, I look forward to her eccentric choices in hair design.  So I appreciate the risks she takes and overall this was a safe look for her, but not a standout.  Julianna Margulies looked amazing from the waist up, I loved the gold accents on the sleeves...not so much on the bottom portion of the gown. It became upholstery with it being too much gold accenting.  


Reese Witherspoon is always on point with her hair whether it be when she wore the bangs that everyone clamored for (click here), to the luscious waves (click here) and tonight shes on point with her sleek 'lob'.  The dress is just the accessory to above the shoulders for me.  Sofia Vergara looks so elegant and I was ecstatic to see her in something more formal but still very much her signature.  



Ok this might be because I am a 90's kid, but for whatever weird reason I kind of liked these dresses worn by Sandra Bullock and Taylor Swift.  I love the pops of color on Sandra's gown, it was very different and I know its not for everyone but at first sight of it, it just made me happy, then at further observation it started to look more like a variation of a rocket pop.  T-Swift holds the flavor longer with hers, it looked beautiful on the stage but the black accent reads more like an exposed bra in photos.  


Aubrey Plaza and Sarah Hyland go full on prom mode, these looks are way too young, and as though they were designed by Lisa Frank.. ( if you don't know who that is click here )


Its great to be on trend, but what's even better is knowing when a fashion has peaked and sadly thats the not the case with Caitlin Fitzgerald as she showed up like she wandered off the set of Mad Men.  It's way too costume-y and even when that was the look, I don't think I would have cared for this. Leslie Mann looks gorgeous with the hair and makeup but the peplum kills it for me with this one.  Perhaps it was on sale?

But before we get to the best we have to go through the worst IMO...


Like ripping off a band aid, I will make this short and sweet so its less painful.  Amber Heard and Anna Gunn suffer from heavy fabrics and poor detail.  Amber's slit looks more like a rip, Anna's twist seeems misshapen, I don't love it.  


HALT-er crimes committed by Edie Falco and Hayden Panetierre.  That bow is hideous and way too much fabric on Edie, Hayden just needs something to flatter her stature, and I would recommend covering some shoulder with a plunging neckline to add height or a sweetheart style for her frame.  


Paula Patton has a growth on her gown and no one told her about it! I was literally shocked by this fluffy fail, it appears as if she's wearing the polar vortex as a fashion statement.  Taylor Schilling chose a floor length camisole, but that wasn't bad enough so she opted for kelly green...yikes!
So that brings us to our best looks of the evening!


Kate Beckinsale terminated so much of the competition tonight.  The sweetheart cut to the spilling subtle train, the art deco lines, the shimmer, love it! The soft hair juxtaposes the strong look and brings this look together nicely cementing her as my Best look of the night #4. 


Lupita Nyong'o is my #3 best dressed with her blood orange red powerful gown. I loved the cape, loved the color on her, loved the short hair!  This is what you do when you are up and coming, and are nominated for one of your first works, this is what creates buzz and if nothing else puts you on a best dressed list for years to come. 


Kate Mara is my #2 and I cannot say enough about this look. The metallic, the beautiful detail of the peek a boo ruffle that ties in the detail on the sleeve, the draping, I can go on and on.  The hair, the cleavage, simply stunning.  Which brings me to my bet look of the night...


Cate Blanchett.  She is always decadent on the carpet, she really thinks about her choices just as she does with her film work.  She can wear virtually anything and I love that she doesnt really repeat a look.  This is so couture, so perfect for a winter event.  The lace, the symmetry, the open back, it was all just perfection.  I loved the tucked hair, with the soft side parted fringe, it was just chosen with the knowing she would walk up to accept an award for her incredible performance in 'Blue Jasmine'.  
That sums up the women and for a change tonight the men brought some great looks to the table and deserve some of the fashion attention. 


These guys collaborated with their women and I love that they really worked to not outshine each other and complement as a pair.  Matthew McConaughey brought just enough shimmer to his suit to compete with Camilla Alves but I am not a complete fan of the dark green velvet.  He looks so good, so it oesnt make him look bad, but its just not my favorite.  Chris Hemsworth does a smiliar look here as Matthew, but I love this one.  I love the pocket watch, the color choice, it was different enough but still very dapper.  


Bradley Cooper looks like he is the definition for how to dress to an awards show in 2014.  The tailoring, the simplicity, the tan, yum.  I like the crop cut he has especially after seeing him with a perm for two hours in 'American Hustle'.  Usher goes for a burgundy suit here and I don't like it, he looks as if he is an usher for the event tonight.  


Chris Pine and Leonardo DiCaprio mirror each other with subtle differences, but Chris takes the lead with a bit more volume to his hair, the absence of black buttons, and just a bit more fitted style.   Leo's scruff looks less intentional and his hair a bit too product heavy. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and lets see if the SAG Awards brng anything interesting to the table!  I appreciate feedback and comments as well of message me here.  Until next time...

Sincerely,


























No comments:

Post a Comment