Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Cannes Film Festival 2014

Cannes Film Festival 2014

This is my first time doing a red carpet review for this particular event and what I found interesting about it is that you have multiple events from day to evening.  The stars and stylists really have the opportunity to showcase a variety of looks and do a mini fashion tour. The fact that it also takes place in the French Riviera lends more creative freedom in some choices in terms of styling.  
 We have all heard it said that we are our own biggest competition, and that gave me the idea for the theme of this red carpet review. I will be featuring each stars looks paired alongside each other and showcase how they changed it up for the whirlwind that is Cannes.   So without further ado, I hope you enjoy it!

America Ferrera


America keeps things light with a simple preppy look, side swept waves top off the glam polo. She goes seductive good girl gown with an upstyle that allows the vavoom of the opening to take center stage.  Both hit the mark and keep her looking like America's sweetheart.    

Blake Lively



Blake is easily today's style queen. She works that mane of hair to really amp up whatever look she is going for.  Legs are the focal point in her mini dress and the look has that effortless appeal.  She amps up the curl and volume to play off of the ruffled dress, which for me, looks great up top, but something about the bottom half doesn't feel right.  She goes sleek to match the drama of the crimson gown, but nothing comes close to the perfection that is her black and white winner.  It takes something this beautiful to make Ryan Reynolds an afterthought!  The draping, the lips, the formal up style, and yes, the arm candy all make this a look that will be remembered.  

Cate Blanchett


I have to hand it to Cate for really making some thoughtful choices that are very much like art pieces.  Her daytime look draws my eye in, but the proportions make me uncomfortable, though I think this was the intent with the blouse.  The pants on the other hand, seem a bit high and stiff making this one of my least favorites.  Cate keeps a theme of color with her dress and I find the top portion very intriguing.  I like this look better and I give her credit for taking risks as she always does.  

Jessica Chastain

Jessica gives us the blues and I love these colors on her skin tone.  I love how she subtly shifts a few elements to transition her day/evening looks.  A flowy daytime periwinkle dress pairs nicely with the red lips on her royal blue formal gown.  Both great choices, though for me the curves on her nigthttime choice make it her winning look.  

Jennifer Lawrence


J Law is tres chic in a jumpsuit for her daytime look with a shimmery gold belt and what I believe to be hair extensions?  I love a halo couture ponytail (now available at Brush Salon!) to really change up a short haircut.  She skips the pony and goes back to short and messy for her evening design with pops of blue peeking through the outline.  

Julianne Moore




Julianne did some heavy promotion for her upcoming role in 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' showing up in a number of outfits.  Her first look with the pale lavender is a bit too plain and the upturned neckline makes her bust look non existent.  Her second look with the burnt brick leather and flared out black patterned skirt is outrageously hot.  Edgy without trying too hard, this is one of her best looks in a long time. Now her emerald toga, I'm not feeling as much.  It has no shape or form, and her hair bun up like that make it Pebbles Flintstone.  And then there's her pièce de resistance, her pearlescent slinky floor-length gown.  It's vintage and makes a statement.  I typically favor a more body defining dress, but something about it makes me really like it.  It looks like Sesame Street meets Rodeo Drive in the best sense so I will just leave it at that.  

Marion Cotillard


Marion's pleats her way down the red carpet and in her daytime look those shoes completely overshadow the softness of her dress.  She redeems herself to an extent with the silhouette of her evening dress, though theres just that extra bit of fabric that seems misplaced, and the wrinkling with that color drives me crazy.  

Naomi Watts


Naomi keeps it super simple and pretty in pink, in the sense that it looks like she had Aniie Potts make it for her. It's as smooth as pepto bismol. But I am really loving the transitions of hairstyles, here in her day look it's loose and then it shifts to a more polished curl for her fantastic evening piece.  This dress is incredible.  The color, the layering of the fabrics and the asymmetrical neckline catapult this to one of my favorite looks of the festival.  

Nicole Kidman


Nicole cements herself as one of Hollywood's style icons with two mesmerizing dresses.  I love the open pops on the sleeves of her daytime wear, and the way it looks almost like a trenchcoat wrap at the bottom.  It looks smart, comfortable and timeless.  She goes futuristic for her evening gown, the detail is spectacular!  I love the juxtaposition of the tech-exposed hardware with the delicateness of the blue lace.  Original and fresh.  

Paris Hilton


Paris is my guilty pleasure, my Kim Kardashian.  I mean, to me she is the original sex tape reality TV star, but I digress.  She has moved away from her princess barbie looks and hired herself a good stylist judging by these two looks.  Her daytime look is entrancing and fun.  Her hair looks healthy and has moved into a more believable blonde.  Her evening gown is drama drama, and makes me say "That's Hot!"

Rosie Huntington-Whitely


There's no denying how gorgeous Rosie is, and I try to not include models into my red carpet reviews unless it is an event that pertains to them.  Technically she is a model turned actress so she makes the list.  Rosie is one of those lucky people that can look good in anything, and for that very reason, I don't like her black dress.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should; it's a bit too much with the exposed brassiere feature and the open leg.  However, her silver garment is why she makes the cut.  It is superb.  That's all. 

Ryan Reynolds


Now for a little man break.  I am loving Ryan's new haircut, and slightly distressed but still chic style.  The brown jacket with the patterned shirt, and red kerchief is on par.  Anyone that knows me, knows that I love a vest, and his second look is so nerdy hot, 
I'm stealing this look.  Win win. 

Ryan Gosling


It's a showdown between the Ryans here and it is a close race.  I love his retro button down and slim pants, the combo of pale blue with brown looks great.  He takes it super sharp with his tux and though at first the no accessories jarred me, but it works with his scruff and unkempt hair.  

Sharon Stone


I love Sharon Stone and typically she wows on the red carpet, but at this festival she has a couple missteps.  Her daytime look is a bit too fresh from the pool, "I have a swimsuit on underneath this"and not stylish.  Her second look works but isn't exciting, and it feels dated with the jewelry choices.  

Sophia Loren


Sophia stays true to her italian style and though it's a bit too much red for my taste, it works on her especially for an event like Cannes.  Her champagne hued gown is classic and ageless, and showcases her beautiful jewelry. It's just a bit monochromatic, and I would change up the purse color or the shoes. I do love the tousled hair and layers.  

...a few other standouts

Jane Fonda


This is in my top 3 for this review, the detail, the color, the hair, Jane knows how to rivet the red carpet.  Superb from head to toe, every part of this look was fully thought through, she makes it look easy. 

Uma Thurman


She makes an entrance, this screams to slow down and take a photo.  I love the Kill Bill yellow, the sleeve/cape detail and the walk is runway du jour.  

Salma Hayek


Salma plays down the girls for a change in this fuchsia strapless dress. It's a simple look, and different for her, I like that she went carefree chic.   Her haircolor is St. Tropez gorgeousness with those highlights breaking up the dark brown.  


Thank you again for reading, and make sure you sign up with your email in the top right area to stay updated with each weekly post!  Until next time, 

Take Care!





























No comments:

Post a Comment